Versace | Haute Couture Fall Winter 2015/2016


Believe it or not, I've only recently been interested in fashion as an art form. Yes, I've always loved wearing clothes for myself and to show off my personality, but I have never really looked at fashion as a device by which designers express their art. When I look at fashion shows, for example, I look at clothes and think, how can I wear that, how can I express myself in that garment. As a result, I've never looked at fashion as something that I could interpret like poetry, or paintings. I've never looked at it as a means by which the designers express themselves, or to tell a story. This has changed very recently however, as I start considering fashion as an art form. Because of this, I am starting a new series in my blog in which I analyse fashion shows like how I analyse poetry. I am by no means an expert, I know little to nothing about silhouettes, and fabrics, and types of cuts, but to me, analysing shows is very therapeutic. It allows you to be immersed in a story written by the designer, and expressed through fabric, the runway, and the makeup. The first show that I want to discuss is the Haute Couture of Atelier Versace for FW 15/16.

I've always been a huge fan of Versace, and my personal favorite aesthetic of theirs will forever be the medusa-inspired clothing they released around 2013, but this collection is a very close second for me. Its atmosphere is of fairytale romance mixed perfectly with 70s festival boho. It gave me strong Maleficent vibes, with the colours purple, grey, and black dominating the looks. The whimsical atmosphere is amplified by the ragged edges of some the dresses, as well as the touches of strings and knots seemingly holding together entire outfits. To me, it was as if a bunch of fairies in the woods gathered scraps of fabric to make beautiful clothing.



What struck me most is the juxtaposition of the elegant clothes with the leather gogo boots. It is unconventional and yet in this collection, it flows seamlessly; it makes sense.



My favourite piece in the collection is this blue fluffy dress. Notice how the dress is combined with a more modern light blue leather belt. I think this is the overarching theme of the season- fairy dresses worn in the days of old combined with contemporary touches- the texture of patent leather, for example.

The collection is a sharp contrast from their last one, but I adored the aesthetics presented here. It reminded me of creatures not unlike the ones JRR Tolkien has created, but Versace modernized and brought them into the 21st century.

I hope you liked this post! Feel free to tell me what you thought of the show in the comments section below. I'll talk to you guys later!

All photos are courtesy of style.com

4 comments:

Powered by Blogger.